Useful Information



If you are a student or backpacker planning to work abroad during the summer vacation you should establish
before you apply for a job whether you can work legally in the country of your choice. Most employers will not even consider
your application unless you can demonstrate that you can produce the necessary documentation. Some countries have special schemes
for harvest workers such as fruit pickers. You can see our interpretation of the schemes for EU, UK, Australia and USA further
down this page.


When you apply for a job send a brief email to the employer saying something about yourself, including your
age and nationality, how you qualify to work in that particular country and what dates you are available for work.  If you have done similar work before, the contact details of a previous employer who will give you a reference is useful. A full CV is not normally needed for holiday jobs and you should not send attachments, unless you are asked to. (An exception might be if you wanted
to add a photo of yourself but this is strictly optional).


Mentioning PickingJobs in your application is always a good idea. In the subject line is best
but anywhere will do. Employers like to know how people found out about them and if they know people are finding them through
this site they are more likely to use it again next year and may even tell others about it – which means more jobs for everyone.


For fruit picking you will normally be paid piecework rates, that is, you are paid by quantity/weight picked. This rate is often worked out so that the average worker earns the minimum wage for the country. The work is hard and even a fit person should allow a few days to get up to speed. Remember that hours of work may be restricted due to weather or crop conditions. Employers in other industries normally pay hourly rates.


When working outdoors in the summer you should wear appropriate clothes to protect yourself from sunburn.
You should also remember to drink plenty water to prevent dehydration.


Nationals of the 25 EU countries have freedom to work in any other EU country. You will be required to show your passport or identity card to the employer who may wish to keep a photocopy.

For more detailed information

click here


To find out if you can work in the UK please

click here


SAWS is British government sponsored scheme which has been severely cut back in recent years. It is now limited to nationals of Bulgaria and Romania to enable them carry out harvest work on farms throughout the UK.

Click here

for more details.


The Working Holiday Maker (WHM) visa gives you 12 months to travel to Australia from the date the visa is granted. You are allowed to stay in Australia for 12 months from the date you first enter Australia. You may work full-time, part-time or casually for 3 months at a time with any one employer. You should keep a record of your employment on form 1263 which entitles you to apply for a second working holiday visa.

Australia has reciprocal working holiday maker arrangements with the following countries: the United Kingdom, Canada, Netherlands,
Japan, Republic of Ireland, Republic of Korea, Malta, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Hong Kong (HKSAR), Finland, Cyprus, Italy,
France, Belgium, Estonia and Taiwan.

People who hold valid passports of most of these foreign countries are able to apply for a Working Holiday visa in any country (except
Australia). Applicants who hold a valid passport from Japan, the Republic of Korea, Malta, Germany, Taiwan, the HKSAR (or a British National
Overseas passport) or the Republic of Cyprus, must apply in the foreign country which issued the passport.

Working holiday visa applicants need to be aged between 18 and 30, single or married without children. They need to show that:

their main reason for coming to Australia is for a holiday, and that any work they do is to support themselves while they are on holiday;

they have a good chance of finding temporary work to supplement their holiday funds; they have a return ticket or sufficient
funds for a return fare and the first part of their stay; and they intend to leave Australia at the end of their authorised

For accurate up-to-date information see this informative website operated by the

Australian Government


International applicants need to be students and to have either a J-1 Exchange Visitors’ Visa for cultural exchange for work or travel or an F-1 Visa for practical training. It is notoriously difficult for applicants who are not students and who do not have the above visas to get jobs in USA.

US Visas

from the US Department of State provides more details.

*PLEASE NOTE the information regarding working in different counties throughout the world is intended as a very basic guide only and no guarantee
is given as to its veracity. You must check these thing out with the appropriate authorities. Detailed information can be obtained from your nearest embassy or consulate of the country you wish to visit. To find it see


By using this web site you accept the following conditions: and its agents accepts no responsibility for the completeness or accuracy of any of the information contained on
or accessed through this site and makes no representations about its suitability for any particular purpose. Users should make
their own judgements about those matters. To the extent permitted by law, PickingJobs excludes all liability for loss or damage
arising from the use of, or reliance on, the information contained in or accessed through this web site whether or not caused by
any negligence on the part of PickingJobs or its agents. The Law of Scotland shall apply.

‘First Time Around the World’
by Rough Guides

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

How to Advertise

If you need to recruit seasonal workers or are
looking for students, this is the place to find them! Around
4,500 people visit the site each week and it is growing all the time.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Contact Us/Comments

If you have any comments about the website or
experience any problems, please send us an email

  • World Map
  • Locations

    Back to Top